Saturday, January 17, 2009

Poetry for the day

Just a short post today since I am busier than I thought I'd be this weekend, having taken on an extra online course as an overload for a variety of reasons. Once I get on top of that a little more I hope to write a longer post here in the next couple of days.

I heard from a couple of friends, after my last post, about how much they also loved Mary Oliver, so I thought I'd share with anyone reading another poet I love; David Whyte. I heard David Whyte talk about 5 years ago at a conference I went to. Essentially he was talking about about the relationship between poetry and work, about the way work should appeal to our passions and engage us, how it should should speak to the person we are at our core and to the person we want to become. It was a moving and inspiring talk, punctuated by his own poetry. If any of you have an opportunity to hear him live, take advantage of it! He also has a book called "Crossing the Unknown Sea, Work as a Pilgrimage of Identity" that addresses some of what he said in the talk I attended and is well worth the read.

Anyway, I am very much back in the thick of work right now so I looked up David Whyte's website and found he has some of his poetry on it. I encourage you to check out the whole thing but offer you today a link to this poem of his which I love:

http://www.davidwhyte.com/english_self.html

No comments:

Post a Comment